17 May 2008

On My Mind
Things That Take Up My TIme
Tech Podcasts

Today on the series wasting my time I'll be talking about the tech podcasts that waste my time (or at least take it up). These are my favorite ones I listen to so not all of them. Some are from CNET some are from TWIT and some are just independent.

Buzz Out Loud

Buzz Out Loud is a podcast by CNET (Computer networks inc.). BOL is a tech podcast that covers tech news both mainstream and from the tech world.

The podcast is hosted by Molly Wood, Tom Merrit and is produced by Jason Howell. They say that they are CNET's podcast of indeterminate length but they usually last about thirty minutes.


Buzz Out Loud Links
Wiki: http://buzzoutloud.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Live video stream: http://www.watchbol.com/
Show notes blog: http://www.cnet.com/8300-11455_1-10.html



The Real Deal

The Real Deal is a podcast by Tom Merrit and Rafe Needleman. This is another podcast by CNET but very different from BOL or The Buzz Report. The Real Deal is there to eliminate some of the FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) surrounding one tech topic a week.

The format is usually them giving the technical definition and then breaking that down into plain english English. The topics could be copyright, law which isn’t directly a tech topic, but it is connected to it, or something like social bookmarking sites which is a tech topic itself.

I like this one because it helps me to understand some of these things that they talk about in other podcasts. It will turn you on to some great sites and give you a better understanding of how stuff works or what exactly stuff is.



The Daily GIz Wiz

I must preface this by saying that this podcast isn't for everyone. The reason I say this is because the humor is interesting and a bit different (not bad just interesting).

The is podcast (as the name suggests) features one gadget a day. It is by the TWIT broadcating network created by Leo Laporte. The podcast is hosted by Dick Debartolo and Leo Laporte.

They feature the gadget then read listener email. It is a fun show in my opinion. It is only a few minutes every morning.

MacBreak Weekly

MacBreak weekly has both an audio and video version. I will be talking about the audio version.

The podcast is a obviously a weekly podcast with a panel of hosts (Leo Laporte, Merlin Mann,
Andy Ihnatko, Scott Bourne, Alex Lindsay, and the occasional guest)

It is about Apple in general not just the computers but ipods, iphones and whatever apple is up to that week.


net@night

net@night is a weekly show hosted by Leo Laporte and Amber MacArthur. They talk about what's on the net. Great sites, interesting videos, podcasts or whatever is on the net.

They typically do an interview with someone who is the creator of a new website that they find interesting.

I enjoy the show it has turned me on to a few sites which I'm sure you'll hear about in the next couple of weeks.

net@night link
http://twit.tv/natn



Thanks for reading. I hope this will open you up to some new podcasts.

Jordan

No comments: